Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ring of Fire

The next morning we got up very, very early.  We had to be ready to go, and meet our driver downstairs at 3:45.  AM!
Tired, but excited kids.

We made it to Borobudur for the sunrise.  It was really amazing.  Totally worth missing some sleep.



Volcano to the north.  Don't know the name.

This one is Mount Merapi.  The most active volcano in Indonesia.




Borobudur.

Then we went to see Mount Merapi up close.
I'm glad I got this picture because the clouds came fast.  It soon disappeared.

We took a jeep tour around the foothills of the volcano.  I think it was everyone's favorite thing we did in Jogja.

The jeep tour had some stops along the way.  For pictures.  And donations, of course.

They call this "The Alien".  It's a big rock that got launched from the volcano in 2010.

This guy was collecting grass.  He deserved getting his picture taken.  Because that's cool.

There was another stop that was set up like a museum of things that got destroyed by the eruption.  It had books, TVs, furniture, etc.  It was pretty crazy.  Then the guy told us it was his house!  It was pretty messed up.

On the way back to the hotel (I needed a nap!) we stopped for some soto ayam.  It's an Indonesian chicken soup.  I think I've talked about it before.  Anyway, we all ate at this restaurant, with drinks, for 91,000 rp.  Less than $10.

We took a quick nap and then headed out again.  We stopped at a noodle place this time.  When you get up that early, you need 2 lunches.  We all ate here, with drinks, for 130,000rp.  About $13.  Definitely our cheapest food day on a vacation.  Ever.

Then we went to the beach.

And we stayed to watch the sunset.  If we were looking straight out to the ocean, the sun set to the left of us.  It was cool to see the sun in a different spot.  It really made me realize we are far away from California.

The sand on this beach was so fine.  It was so soft!  It was so huge too.  But so were the waves.  There was no swimming allowed.

Day two was a great day.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Amazing & Gorgeious! Great pictures!