Monday, April 15, 2013

Pick Up All Your Floor Bags

Since I'm just about caught up on my blog (all but Europe) I've been thinking a lot about why my blog sucks.  There are a bunch of reasons.  I think blogging in general has become less interesting.  Most people have stopped writing, and stopped reading.  That's okay for me because I didn't have that many readers to begin with, but I don't read a lot of blogs anymore either.  And unfortunately I'm inspired by other's blogs.  Another big reason is because I don't 'think' blogging anymore.  I used to take pictures with a story in mind.  It was good for me.  I liked writing and thinking that way.  My blog isn't like that anymore, and it's boring.  I know this.  But I think the main reason (one of the main reasons?) is because when my life changed drastically, I tried to make my blog stay the same.  I didn't want my blog to be taken over by how different my life has become.  I wanted it to stay only being a story of our family life.  But I'm realizing that where I live, and what we are doing, is so much a part of our family life that when I try to keep it out, I end up not saying anything at all.  I think I was afraid if all I talked about was Jakarta, and how strange it was, my friends and family would get annoyed by my blog.  So I ended up not blogging about day to day life as much.  I got the big events in, but even then I felt like I was just doing it to get it done.  Which is good since this is my journal, but not great.  I even tried to start up a new blog all about life in Jakarta, but that didn't work out either.  I just sucked at both blogs.  I also worried that if I talked about Jakarta too much people would think I'm miserable and it is horrible here.  It's not.  I'm very happy, but it seems when I think of things to write, it's always about the wacky stuff.  I have a lot of complaints, yes, and that is usually the funnest stuff to write about. :)  And of course, one last reason is because I've been lazy.  

Well, it's going to be different now.  I'm just going to blog about whatever I want.  Even if I know no one cares.  I really regret all the stories I should have, could have told and I didn't.  So if you're out there, this thing is probably going to get even less interesting for you.  But in a way, maybe it will be more interesting because I'll have my creative writing back.  I hope.

So, how I'm feeling about moving away from here for good?  Well, for now.  There is always a chance we could end up here again.

I'm not going to miss Jakarta.  A lot of the choices we made here turned out to be bad ones.  And they were really bad as to effect our life incredibly.  Right now I'm feeling like I'm ready to just put the whole experience behind me.

This was my first go at living overseas and I didn't do a good job.  It was a learning post.  And I learned a lot.  I'm not going to talk about all of it, but for one, I was never prepared for anything.  I'm not a good planner by nature, and you really have to be on top of it when you live overseas.  You have to be ready for holidays and birthdays and special breakfasts and movie night.  Nothing is right there waiting for me.  I have to be on.  I'm not organized.  I'm not on.  I have to work harder, but I love my spontaneity.  So there's a bit of a struggle there.  There's lots of other things too, but that was a big one for me.

But at the same time, this is a very emotional event.  Jakarta is filled with firsts.  Everything will forever be compared to our life here.  Our first overseas post as a family.  It's a big deal.  So when I think of those things, the emotional ties Jakarta has to my family and our experiences, I think I will miss it a bit.

That is my watered down version of something that I could talk about for hours.  But I'm done.  That's enough.  I'm good. 

*****

I went furniture shopping the other day.  And I bought something.  It's a miracle really.  I don't like spending money especially if I don't know if I'm getting a good deal or if I'm being taken.  That's always the challenge when shopping here.

Here's the store I bought from.  See that opening between the two stacks of furniture?  That's the path to get to the front door.  These shops are pretty typical on the 'furniture street' right by my house.  There are many fancy ones too, but I happened to find what I wanted in this one.

That's the front door.  Furniture is stacked to the ceiling everywhere.  Those men weren't super happy when I asked if they could take the bench I was interested in outside so I could see it properly.  There was no light inside.  Only what came through a small window.

Chelisa took a picture of me in one of the open areas around where they just took out the benches.
Inside it was hot and stinky.  It smelled like pee.  Hopefully cat pee?  I also saw a rat scuttle by.  Maybe it's rat pee?  Either way, it was gross, but I was almost sure I found exactly what I wanted.

This is it!  I wanted something Indo looking but not too huge.  It needed to be durable enough to survive traveling, but not a million pounds.  And since I never know what my houses are going to look like, it needed to be versatile.  I think I found it.  I was so excited, especially because he only asked 1.5 mil for it.  And since I'm a bargainer (I hate it, but I do it) I didn't even pay that much.

I also decided to get the 2 smaller ones.  He will refinish them and deliver them to me.  I got all three pieces, all refinished, for about $250.  I'm calling it a success.  Don't tell me if you don't think so.

Since I got my camera out, and we were all excited to make a sale, I thought it would be fun to take a picture with the guy running the store.  He obliged.  So I stood by him, and he wrapped his arm around me.  It was weird but I went with it.  Then he started holding on pretty tight.  I laughed and made the mistake of looking at his face.  Since the guy was shorter then me, I practically looked him right in the eyes.  He was close!  After the shot, I was ready to be done so I walked away.  But I wasn't fast enough because he planted his sweaty, whiskery lips on my cheek for a kiss.  Oh brother.

Another lesson learned:  Don't take pictures with dudes you just gave a million rupiah to.  They are much too daring at that point.

7 comments:

Pottle's said...

Hahahaha, What a great story. I didn't even realize I could comment on here. We love reading your blog and seeing all the fun pictures.

Milana said...

I actually think that you are great at blogging! I read your blog still every week...I just really suck at commenting, but I will try to do better so that you know that I am here! I love watching your kids get bigger! I was in awe at what an awesome mom you were when you were just living in West Jordan...now that you are over seas, well I don't even have words for it! I feel like I am in a different world living in Ohio with five kids, I can't imagine living in another country! I am glad that you are going to tell us more of what is going on! Love the bench by the way!

Milana

Heather said...

You already know I love your crazy stories! I tell you all the time how fascinating your life is and how jealous I am =) Love this post!!! I hope you keep on going with this momentum =) You will be so happy you have kept up on blogging in the future too, It is so fun to go back and read! I can't wait to see you soon! Cafe rio, yum, yum, yum =)

Heather said...

Oh, and you look fabulous! You are one hot mama! I look like a ghost right now, and yes it is still snowing! So live up those days at the pool for me =)

Amanda said...

Hey thanks guys! And who are you "unknown"? :)

M. Nelson said...

Your blog has always been one that inspires me. You are a great writer. And mother. But I hear you about blogs losing their luster. Mine has. Even my mom withholds comments these days. But, like you, I look at it as sort of a journal. My only one really. So I need to renergize it as well.

me said...

I love reading your blog too. i look forward to when you post. I have slacked MAJORLY on mine this year. I need to recommit myself because it is my journal too. Cant wait to see you guys and hear more crazy stories not blogged about.