Monday, April 22, 2013

Candi

After almost 2 years in Jakarta, we finally took a trip to Yogyakarta.  It's a requirement when you live here.  You're not allowed to leave unless you make the trip.

We've always wanted to go, but it was the kind of thing we put off and put off until finally it was now or never.  We chose now.  Even though it was inconvenient timing to say the least.  But it worked out.

This is the first place we stopped after arriving.  We hired a car and driver for the weekend, and he was like a tour guide.  It was awesome.  He brought us here to get fish.  They had a pond full of prawns.  We ate some.  We did not, however, eat any chickens.  They had those in cages out front too.  It might have been decoration.  Let's hope.

And fancy drinks.
That's a lime squash.  The name sounds so normal to me now, but I remember laughing about it when we first saw it.  Squash?  In fact, I remember going out with Nate once and we thought maybe it was a drink made with zucchini.  It's not.  It's just soda water, lime juice, and sugar syrup.  Very delicious.  It is very common here, so I drink it a lot.

It doesn't look good, but it was delicious.

Then we got started right away on the sight-seeing.  We made our way to Prambanan temple.  It is a old Hindu temple.  Super old.  It was built in the 9th (?) century.  Our "guide" told us all about it, but I don't remember details.  I'll read about it later.
We all had to wear sarongs.

It was very cool.  We've never seen anything like it.

There were very large, steep steps leading up to the statues of the person being honored.

We didn't go in the Shiva temple (the main one in the middle) because there were certain rules.  The sign out front said it was "relatively stable".  Oh my gosh, so hilarious.  Relative to what?  Well, either way we had to wear hard hats, and I don't trust anything that's been on someone else's head.



Looks like Nate has two heads.

We road a train to another section to see more temples.

When we were leaving, there were these little shops set up all along the sidewalk.  Those ladies really wanted to sell us their cold drinks.  They were shouting and putting their beverages on display.  It was good because I may not have realized they were selling anything.  ;)

There were souvenir shops too.  We bought some stuff.

That was day one of three.

No comments: