I take the boys out to lunch a lot. We don't really get out of the house much otherwise, so it is a good break. We often walk to the "Mexican" restaurant down the street. I put quotes on Mexican because I think that might be a stretch. But it is okay, and I'm glad we can walk there.
I decided to take some pictures on our last walk to Amigos. One thing I know I'll miss about Jakarta is the tropical greenness everywhere, always. It really is pretty, and we live in a great neighborhood full of awesome plants.
This is the walkway to the pool. I know I've taken a ton of pictures of the pool already. The pool is something I will also miss. It was a huge pool for only the 14 embassy houses in the back of the complex. It was very isolated. The kids like swimming with friends, but I would prefer to have the whole pool to myself.
After turning the corner on the way to the green gate.
The green gate.
Because it's an embassy complex there are certain security measures. We always have guards, and we always have this green gate. I'm going to get a close up of the guards sometime soon.
Frangipani tree. They are all over the neighborhood but this one is my favorite.
These flowers are awesome. They smell nice, and the look is so striking and unique. The petals are thick, almost leathery. The flowers fall off the tree all the time, and I always get one or two from the boys to put behind my ear.
The gardeners gather them and dry them. I see piles in different stages of this process out in my back yard area. I finally asked someone what they do with them, and he told me they sell them. Apparently they are used in China for perfume. They sell for about 100,000 rp a kilo.
Little bunches on the tree. Love. I will miss these flowers.
There is a little shopping center with our grocery store, a couple small cafes, a book store, one or two fancy home decor shops that I've never been into, and Amigos.
This picture reminds me of a time when we were walking just like this. There was a lady sitting at one of the cafe tables outside. G saw her and said, loudly, "Is that a boy or a girl?" And before I could shush him she answered, "A girl." And if that's not embarrassing enough, he replies by saying, "Oh, it can talk!"
Amigos! Food, drinks, AND fun!
Going up the stairs.
My flower, my wallet, and the boys playing on the spinny chairs.
Since moving is on my mind almost constantly, this trip to Amigos was a reflective one. I even teared up a bit. I was feeling sad that this was coming to and end. But I realized I'm sad about hanging out with the boys, and being able to take them to lunch. It really doesn't matter what restaurant it is, or what city the restaurant is in. I will always look back at Amigos with fondness but not because of the food or atmosphere, but because I hung out with my boys there. It is an interesting feeling I have that I'm having a hard time articulating. And unfortunately, taking the boys out to lunch is coming to an end as well.
Fajitas.
Then we went over to Hero.
Always a tropical selection of fruit.
Dragon fruit.
The fish.
Always brown eggs.
Frozen food section.
The very expensive, inconvenient milk.
Magnum bars. Those things have been our go-to ice cream treat. Since all other ice cream here is either crappy (very very crappy), or Haagen Dazs which is prohibitively expensive, we have Magnum bars. They are good.
Indonesia's beer.
Checking out.
There is a BR there. We got ice cream there once or twice. It too is very expensive. And they only have like 3 flavors. They have space for more, but they just stock multiple tubs of the same kind. Jamocha Almond Fudge must be very popular.
Hero. So thankful Hero is walking distance. In America, I would stock up on everything. Sometimes I wouldn't have to go to the store for 2 weeks. No so here. Aside from what I brought with me, I don't have stock of anything. I'm just not able to shop like that here. So I end up going to Hero at least once a day. My life would be a million times more difficult if I had to drive to the store.
The front door.
Since most people have drivers, they have these signs in the parking lot. If you happen to be a woman, and you drive yourself, you can park in the convenient spots.
Where I live!
The walk home.
I don't know what this tree is called, but I love it. It's huge!
And it has huge leaves!
The clubhouse.
This is the way to the tennis courts.
Back at the green gate.
No tubas!
































1 comment:
It's so gorgeous there! Such pretty pictures! I love all the green! Love the no tuba sign, lol! That's awesome!!
Such a good post, and sad too =( You and the kids just have more awesome adventures to come and I can't wait to hear about them!
Post a Comment