A friend of mine had a baby recently. Getting pregnant wasn't easy for them. She says it was a miracle. As it got close to the end, I remember her saying she was excited to see the baby, but she didn't want the pregnancy to end because she thought that it might be the only time she had that experience. I will never forget that. I think by number 5 I didn't appreciate it as much. I do remember, with all my babies, feeling like I could never hold them as close as when they were in my belly. As far as I can tell, I will never have that experience again either.
I knew (thought, one can never be 100% sure... right?) that G was my last before I had him. So I went to the hospital planning on enjoying every minute. I even expected to be emotional, and sentimental. The doctor did not want me to go over my due date because I was huge, and I had a tendency for short labors. He didn't want me having a baby in my car. So I was induced on my due date. I put it off as long as possible hoping I would go into labor naturally. It didn't happen. Even as I was walking to my hospital room, I hoped my water would break or something. I don't know why it was so important to me. I figured if I was going to have a baby this way, I would have him pain free. It was. And it was fun. Nate is the best person to have with you in a hospital room.
So when I saw G for the first time, I cried... right? Wrong! I laughed. I couldn't stop laughing. His head was so big and it had a trapezoid shape. His cheeks rested nicely on his shoulders! I couldn't believe how fat he looked. His body looked like he was two months old. I loved it. He was so cute.
We brought him home on Thanksgiving Day last year. And he has been a blessing every day since.
Now he is a kid who causes trouble. That is his favorite pastime. Since he has been walking for over three months, he is extremely mobile. He loves to laugh and play with his siblings. He and Dare are especially great playmates. Even though she sometimes lets him fall off of the couch, or squeezes him around the middle too hard. He is a lover. He gives great hugs and lots of kisses. He still does the open mouth kind so there is always slobber involved. He is really cool, and laid back. He doesn't really complain too much. Only when I can't hold him when he wants me to, or when I won't let him stand on top of tables. He has been told no about a million times, and every time he will look at me, smile, and shake his head. I taught him how to nod, but he only does that if I ask him if he wants a snack. He makes me laugh every day. I am so glad he is a part of our family.
8 comments:
"He Played Eight" has a nice ring to it. Don't ya think? Kidding.
I love the way you write about him.
I get so frustrated with Evan sometimes (especially when he laughs when I'm mad) but I love him so much my heart hurts. I feel that way about all of my children. I can't imagine my life without them in it.
Ohhhh those photos make me baby hungry. I actually loved my quiet moments in the hospital with each baby. I would just stare at them in unbelief and wonder. We felt like Meghan was our last and I soaked in every single moment.
P.S. What happened to Nate? (Regarding your comment on my blog)
Happy Birthday G! I can't believe our babies are one already. Doesn't it just seem like yesterday we were talking in the nursing lounge at the church about how they were only a week apart? This past year has gone by way to fast!
Deb-
I am embarrassed to say... NOTHING. It is super lame, but if things don't go like they always do, my mind wanders. He was late getting home from work, and he didn't answer his phone. But the scary thing was an hour earlier I sent him a rare "I love you" text. We send texts like that all the time, but this one was a last-thing-I-will-ever-tell-you kind of text. I think that is what did it for me. But I was a wreck for about 10 minutes. I know, dumb.
You sound JUST like me! I hated it when Nathan worked nights and he couldn't answer his cell phone. I couldn't sleep until he called me back and I just knew something was wrong. Nothing ever was. I blame my Mom for the worry gene.
Oh yes. I remember your mom's worry gene.
I was going to tell you something about Dallin. You should have been used to the way he looked. You saw me and all our friends like that a million times! Just kidding... I know it is different.
Yes, especially with you you can't ever be 100% certain that you are done having babies. I won't believe you are done until you are in the grave!
Post a Comment