Monday, December 22, 2008

Gingerbread houses

            

        

                                     
I just have to say, yes I bought these.  And man was it worth it!

I have made our gingerbread houses every year since we started the tradition on B.A.'s first Christmas.  I make the dough, roll it out just right (not too thick, but not too thin), cut each piece, and bake them.  It always smells so good, and the house has such a personal touch.  This year I saw these kits at Costco.  The first few times I saw them, I passed.  I couldn't really see a reason for buying them.  But as time started running out, and the 'to do' list started getting longer, I decided it was worth the extra money to save me some time.  And I was right!  Even after I bought them I thought it would be a one-time thing.  Next year I will be on top of it, and make them again.  Then I opened the package, and put it together.  It was so easy, and it was done in 15 minutes.  And the houses are cuter than I could ever manage.  They don't really smell like gingerbread.  More like graham crackers.  But I still think it was worth it.

I don't think I'll ever make them again.  Sad.  But not too sad.

P.S.  There are no pictures of G, but I will tell you what he was doing.  Screaming.  So I would pick him up and he would dive for the candy.  I would manage to take most of the dangerous candies away from him, and then I would put him back down.  When he was done eating the stolen candy, he would scream and we would start the whole process over again.

5 comments:

Milana said...

This is such a fun holiday tradition! I'm with you though...the store bought ones are worth it! Merry Christmas!

Sheri said...

YOU BAKE YOUR OWN GINGERBREAD HOUSES? Now,that's just crazy talk.

Next year will you bake me one too?

I just thought I'd ask...

Sheri said...

I love the look of concentration and the tongue out. Classic.

Lisanne said...

Don't feel bad, we did a store bought kit too! I even bought store made sugar cookies to frost for Santa this year! Where did all my time go??
Lisanne

M. Nelson said...

Well, I don't buy kits. Don't get me wrong, I don't bake gingerbread either. We go even one step lazier at our house--graham crackers. They may not make a beautiful gingerbread house, but it's easy and the kids have fun.