Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Easter!

Here is a play by play of church today.  We arrived during the announcements.  That is early for us.  We go to the back row of the overflow, as always.  I think Nate thinks people can't see him sleeping back there.  After a few fights over who gets to sit where, we settle down just in time for the opening song.  I am lucky if it is a song I know, so I can sing.  If it requires a book, no singing for me.  As soon as that is over Dare is asking for a snack, or gum, or a book, or crayons, etc.  This list is endless.  I make them wait until after sacrament.  It is going pretty well until Mads falls through the hole in the back of the chair.  I try to grab him and get out before the screaming attracts every body's attention.  Now I have to search for someone to give us the water because I was running out during my turn.  Brynster and Rhon are so good, thankfully.  They will draw pictures the whole time.  Space Dog, in the mean time, is getting increasingly cranky.  Nate is holding him.  When he gets up to stop the fussing, Mads decides to follow.  He roams around the cultural hall, and is careful to ignore my quiet pleas to get him to come back to his seat.  Dare asks me to color her picture for her.  When I say no, she starts wailing.  I try to pretend she doesn't belong to me, but I know deep down everyone already knows.  I give her the "take you to the car" threat and she calms down a bit.  Now this is a pretty mild sacrament meeting for us.  At the end, Dare and Rhon start crying because they don't want to go to class.  Nate says too bad, then realizes this might be a good thing because he could take them home.  So I say too bad.  They go.  Now it is nursery time. Not one of my kids has ever liked nursery.  And frankly, I don't blame them. Mads goes in with Nate while I feed the baby.  While I am feeding him, I hear Mads cry.  Turns out, he fell and split his lip.  That was the end of nursery.  So we and the boys hang out in the hall for the rest of Sunday School. Besides the 10-15 minutes I spend in the hall (again) trying to get Space Dog to sleep, the rest was mostly uneventful. Although, I wasn't in priesthood.  Sometimes I wonder what I am doing at church because I don't hear talks, or much of lessons, but I always feel happier knowing I tried to go, and made it through.  I feel like today was a success.   

4 comments:

Sheri said...

That sounds eerily familiar. Except if someone pisses Max off he'll scream, "I'm going to punch you!" How's that for inviting the Spirit?

me said...

Wow! This sounds familiar to me as well! Its gotten a little better though but I only have TWO kids to wrangle!! Props to you for making it all work out. If it makes you feel any better I didn't hear your kids...

Angie said...

I don't know how you do it Amanda! You are so patient. I can barely hadnle Jake and Joe and Joe still doesn't walk or talk! I need to take some mommy lessons from you!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

So funny...that is our case with wanting to sit in the back...but our ward isn't big enough that they have the over flow open! I'm lucky if I make to church in time and I only have two kids...so you are definitely a strong women!