I went to school on Thurday to help in Dare's art class. I was so happy to be there.
In their school in Utah, they didn't have a designated art room. So this was the first time I have been in an art room at an elementary school since I was going to elementary school. All the wonderful memories of being in art class came back to me. What a wonderful place to be! I started remembering why I went to college to be an art teacher. I had pretty much given up that idea until I went to volunteer that day. I loved being there. I loved everything about the room. I loved the kids' enthusiasm. I loved the teacher's cool, anything-goes attitude. I loved that the kids went outside with a pencil, paper, and a board to observe and draw trees.
I loved the caked on paint on the drying racks. Seriously. That means good things are happening there.
I loved the shelves and shelves, and stacks and stacks of art supplies. It was all I could do to not grab a paint brush and just paint.
I also loved that I was able to meet Dare's friends. I had one girl give me a flower, one girl give me a hug, and one girl stop to wait because she wanted to walk with me. And I will never forget the boy who said...
Boy - "Are you Dare's mom?"
Me - "Yes. I am."
Boy - "I am in love with her."
He was so matter of fact that I believed it to be true. Ha ha! He said it as if he was talking about the weather. Like, "Hey Dare's mom. It's raining." Later when I told Dare, she said, "I know." She told me that he tells her that all the time. It didn't phase her either.
6 comments:
That is so fun! So are you hinting that you might want to be an art teacher after all? How incredible would it be paid to do something you love?!?! I think you should : )
Too cute! Go Dare!
You need to tell this boy to back off. I'm not about to let him mess up my plan for Ethan and Dare. (Not that either kid is aware I am arranging their futures--because that would just make me sound crazy.)
LOL Marian!
I know what you mean about the art room - my boys school has one and they even have a kiln! It's a magical place :)
OH, you made me even more nostalgic for teaching and my classroom in Michigan! I actually have the phone numbers written down to call about recertification. And this totally makes me want to call! You should do it. It is the best classroom to be in ever!
Post a Comment