Wednesday, June 4, 2008

First Grade

I love the end of the school year.  There are always fun activities planned, and there is a certain kind of excitement that only comes with vacation anticipation, changes in schedules, a sense of accomplishment, anxiety over missing friends, warm weather, and uncertainty for the school year to come.   

Bryn had a "Purple Cow Poetry Picnic" a few days ago.  There was a list of poems the first grade learned throughout the year.  This was their chance to recite the poems and perform little skits along with the words.  It was really fun.  The camera I brought is not good for distance shots, so this is the best I could get.  I thought it was funny, because that kid next to her is so much taller than she is.  He is probably about average height.  She did The Purple Cow by Gelett Burgess, Wynken, Blynken, and Nod by Eugene Field, and My Shadow by Robert Louis Stevenson.  After the kids were done, we had purple cow cookies and grape soda floats.

Bryn brought a book home that she made recently.  They have been making and writing books all year, but this one was particularly funny.  It is called The Bryn School.  Here are the words:

If I ruled the school, I would have no books. 
I would make the children have no parties and no field trips (except me and the three best students).
I would have no desserts (except me).
They will give me pictures every day.
They have to be good or else they will get kicked out of the school.
They give me money every day.
They will wear brown.
No pets at school.
Work all the time.
No fun at all.
They make me queen.
They have to give me everything.
No black hair.

The scary thing is, is that I wouldn't put it past her to enforce these rules if she were in charge.  She can be a bit self-centered.  And she really likes money.  But I think she was trying to be funny.  I think the "no black hair" was her way of saying I wasn't allowed there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you forgot the part about how awesome she is at making really pretty yellow stars. ;-)

liz

me said...

soooo funny!

Sheri said...

Bryn sounds ALOT like Xander. He is also self-obsessed and LOVES $. Way too much.

Sheri said...

Umm...and don't you have black hair?

j/k :)