Thursday, October 17, 2013

Lucky Egg

We had our first moon festival in China!  We've been celebrating it for years, but this is the first time it was an actual national holiday where we live.  It was awesome.  The kids got a few days off of school, and Nate got some time off work.  We spent the days hanging out outside in the beautiful weather.  Some of the time was bad pollution, but most of it was good.

On the day of the Mid-Autumn Festival, we had a super awesome Chinese dinner.  By Nate.

And then we made moon cakes.
These moon cakes are not, I repeat, NOT traditional.  I wanted to make something that we would actually want to eat.  So mine are basically a sugar cookie with a filling.  The filling was various dried fruits and jam.  They were yummy!  Much better than red bean flavor with an egg yolk in the center.
Then we went outside to look at the moon.
  

This guy has nothing to do with the moon, but he has been our pet spider for a while, and I thought I'd share.  He lives right outside our sun room window.  He's probably about the size of the palm of my hand.  And his web is incredible.  And "he" is probably a she.
My neighborhood is like spider world.  They are everywhere.


2 comments:

M. Nelson said...

Love Asian food. Do not love most Asian desserts, however. Maybe if I lived there I could get skinny. You might see me on your doorstep one day! You would have to stop making those pies though. They look too delicious.

Amanda said...

I would love to see you on my doorstep!!!