Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Onion Powder

November 22
Thanksgiving!  The kids had school, but I let them stay home.  Honestly, I think that's unique.  Most of the American kids still went to school that day.  I told the girls they could go if they wanted.  They all stayed home.  There was a really big rainstorm that day.  There was flooding and power outages.  I was glad we were all home, and we had nothing to do but cook all day.
Growing up, one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving was the vegetable tray.  That might sound weird, but I loved it.  It marked the beginning of a very special meal.  My mom also did a plate of pickles and olives, and more recently, added a fruit tray with fruit dip.  I have continued that tradition mostly for myself, but I am happy to say that my kids love it as much as I did (and do!).  In Jakarta, our vegetable/pickle/fruit tray looks pretty much the same as when I grew up.  The dip, however, is different.  We weren't able to buy a ranch dressing mix, so we have to make our own.  But it was wonderful nonetheless.

We cooked all the traditional foods.  Nate and I cooked for 9 hours.  Sounds crazy, but it was at a relaxed pace, and we had a good time.  I wish I could write more about that day, but I have forgotten.  Maybe I'll remember, or maybe it wasn't remarkable enough to remember.  :)

1 comment:

Jamey said...

I LOVE that family picture!