Friday, July 3, 2009

In the last week of June...

... we went to the zoo.
Our membership expired the last day of June and the kids were begging to go once more before that happened. It was a really hot day. When the inevitable complaining started, I told them to remember this the next time they want to go, and I say no.
I'm writing this down to remind myself.

We enjoyed the Madagascar exhibit. They had cockroaches the size of watermelons! Sick. I will probably have nightmares for weeks.

Oh. Another thing. Mads doesn't like cotton candy. What the freak!?! He wouldn't even try it. I don't know what his problem was. And I, being the you-have-to-try-everything kind of mom that I am, forced him. I waited until he held his mouth open just right, and then I crammed it in. He spit it out! I was shocked and appalled. He kept saying on the way home, "I don't like cotton candy." It hurts my heart. I will try again and again.

I love they way Rhon is holding G's hand in this picture.

... we had some warm days.
The kids in our pathetic little pool.

... our astilbe plant bloomed.
This is my favorite plant in all of our yard.

... it was time to harvest the peas!
Letting the kids pick and eat veggies, is the best part of having a garden. It almost makes it worth all the work. Almost.
G is a pro pea eater. He picks them off, cracks them open, and eats all the peas inside.

6 comments:

M. Nelson said...

Adelaide doesn't like cotton candy either. Maybe it has something to do with the year these nutty kids were born. We should poll the other mothers.

Dana said...

Looks like you guys are having a fun summer so far. I can only imagine what beautiful weather you are enjoying!
Natalie says that she wants to see the giant cockroaches! We should make a special trip just for that and then we could swing by for a visit :)
P.S. Can I have Mads' share of the cotton candy?

Sheri said...

I make my kids try everything too because how can you say you don't like someting if you haven't tried it? But seriously, who doesn't like cotton candy - it's straight sugar!

liz said...

i love that picture with G getting out the peas. and my neighbor has that exact same pool and was so mad about how it turned out, too!

Deb said...

I love gardening...but I don't have a garden. You are so lucky to live in Utah where anything grows!

me said...

too bad garden peas or so good or Id MAKE you share the wealth...hehe. As for cotton candy, Brook didnt like it either for a LONG time. I think it had to do with the texture. Now she realizes its straight sugar and cant get enough when its around.