Monday, September 15, 2008

Sale Ends

Did you hear about that jeans sale at Old Navy?

A month or so ago, they had all their jeans on sale. $7 for kids and $12 for adults.  When you have five kids to buy jeans for, this is something you just can't pass up.  I didn't get there as soon as it opened like I had planned.  Mainly because my husband stays up until all hours (3 or 4 A.M.!!!) playing Xbox with his brothers, and can't get up in the morning.  So when I did get there, the line was horrendous.  I am talking an hour wait!  They had the people snaking through the whole store.  I'm not a happy shopper, and lines are not my thing, and since I had my whole family with me (we always do our Saturday outings together), I left.  I put down all the jeans I picked out, and left.  Oh well, I didn't actually care that much.  The girls' jeans are normally only $14 each anyway, so 50% off isn't that much... right?  

Then we went to the Farmers Market.  There is a different Old Navy right by it.  I decided to check it out.  It was an hour or so later, so the lines were gone, but so were most of the jeans.  I found a few for the girls, and a pair for SCM.  There weren't any for Mads.  As I was walking out I passed the table with women's jeans on it.  I don't need any jeans, and I have been waiting to get down to a proper size before I buy any new clothes.  But for $12, I thought it was worth a look.  I ended up buying 2 pair that were a size smaller than my current jeans.  I figured I was losing weight, and I would be able to wear them soon.  

A couple days ago, I tried on the jeans.  They fit perfectly!  I was pretty excited, even though it is still a size (or two) bigger than I want.  I was down a jeans size, and I didn't even have to squeeze in.  I immediately pulled the tags off and threw a shirt on.  I was off to do my grocery shopping.  

I went to Smith's first.  Then to Costco.  Oh how I love Costco!  The carts are big, the aisles are big, the food is big, and unfortunately, my tab is usually big.  The kids were great.  The day was rolling along smoothly.

We were listening to my favorite CD on the way home.  I didn't hold back today.  I was singing and swinging my hands around beating my air drum.  Okay, I'm not actually that lame, but the visual was funny, right?  We were about half-way home when I put my hand down on it's usual resting spot.  I sort of wedge it in between the outside of my thigh and the car seat.  I noticed something on my pants.  Is that what I think it is?  No. No. Nooooo!

Yup.  It was the sticker that shows the size of my jeans.  Not a little sticker.  A big, long sticker that says the size like 26 times.  As if you couldn't see the first one, it screams it at you... 26 26 26 26 26 26.  That is obviously not my size.  Unless you were at Costco, you aren't going to find out.    

Picture my face as the realization flows over me.  Not only was a wearing the stupid sticker on my stupid pants the whole stupid day, which is embarrassing on its own, but I was telling everyone what size my stupid fat pants are.  Why couldn't it have been a size 6?  Then all the people, who politely looked away without telling me, might have been thinking... wow! she has such a cute size 6 tush!  Or... why couldn't Old Navy have gotten their stickers wrong, just this once, and it could have showed a size 4.  Then at least, the people would have been more confused than appalled at my jeans size.

Horrible, terrible, rotten, smelly, puky, dreadful day.    Vile.    Awful.



P. S.    This is not the first time this has happened.     

9 comments:

Sheri said...

Oh gosh, is it bad that I'm laughing? I feel your pain - I do! But it's a really funny story.

Who cares what people think anyway?

Nicole said...

LOL!!! Hilarious. You know I've been there, done that (remember my Earl episode at the grocery store?). My other fave thing that I do is leave on my HI! my name is sticker from church on and go grocery shopping. Too bad you took off the price tag so everyone didn't know the kickin' deal you got! But by the way, way to go on the new jean size. I am totally with you on that one too. I am still not back to the size I left Utah in. Miss running opposite you by the way.

Tawnie said...

Oh Amanda..way to be a good sport altough you might need to shop at a different costco!? Good job on moving down in size..just think it could of been worse it could of shown a 40!

Angie said...

I am laughing, pretty dang hard! I love the story! I have done that before! I hate to admit it, but I have! We all do silly things... just think it adds character to your jeans to have the size. Shows you are secure with yourself!
Good job going down a jean size!

liz said...

you're not fat. I think you're darling.

but not in a pervy way.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

lol! Okay that is NOT funny...yet it is! I can only imagine...I almost did that, but when I was getting out of the car to walk INTO the store, My husband pointed at my folly and laughed until he was blue in the face! :)

But WAY TO GO on getting in the smaller jean size...stuff like that just never happens to me! :)

Dana said...

I am just fired up about your new size! It is the best feeling to work hard and see the results. And if everyone else see it too... even better! You wear those jeans with pride, girl! Pretty soon you will be leaving the size on your jeans on purpose =)

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

you need to get your cute "size 26" bum over to my blog and start following it...

Because...it helps me with my laziness and keeps me more efficient...you see, when you follow my blog, you are added to my google reader and then I get instant updates on all your new shiz! So do it!

Love ya!

Who took those awesome pics of your kids...they are SWEET! lol!

Deb said...

Ok, that is so funny! I'm sorry, but my whole family is standing around the computer laughing right now! You seriously need to write a book!

The pictures of your kids are sooooo cute!