Friday, September 12, 2008

Avant-Garde

Photo by Shelle

Last night I woke up crying because of a horrible dream.  One of my kids died.  I'm not going to go into details (it's not something I want to remember). I couldn't go back to sleep for quite a while, and as I laid there, I realized something.  All the kids were there, and they were all playing their roles.  The roles I have given them.  B.A. was over-emotional, and mostly concerned with herself.  Rhon was kind and dependable.  Dare was bouncy and disobedient.  Even though she looked at me while I told her the rules, she completely ignored them.  Mads was obstreperous and independent.  I realized that I have labeled my children.  In any given situation, I could tell you who would act what way.  Although I think it is good to know my children, I don't want to label them anymore, at least with the negative stuff.  There isn't really anything negative to say about Rhon.  See, there I go again.  She has the label of being the perfect child.  Not that that is bad, but I'm sure the other girls notice.  I've decided it is okay to notice behaviors that are common to their personality (B.A. is usually bossy), but I want to try not to assume she is that way all the time, and that it is something she can change, not just think oh that's the way she is.  

Dana and I were just talking yesterday about how we can appreciate our kids more.  I am aware now that my labels are not appreciative at all.  I feel terrible that I have suppressed them in a way.  I going to stop doing this right away.  Try at least.  It is my goal to see the behaviors separate from the child.  I love those little punks.  I hope they know it.

5 comments:

Sheri said...

I do that alot. It's a hard habit to get out of...

Amanda said...

Thanks! I needed that today.

me said...

I have seriously been thinking about this exact same thing just these last few days. I focus so much on Kait being super dramatic and things of that nature. Ive been trying really hard not to say how she IS so I dont condition her to be that way her whole life. Man...motherhood and the things we have to learn!!

Dana said...

It is hard to emphasize the good when I am so focused on their mistakes or bad habits. Why is it so hard to overlook their imperfections or to allow them to make wrong choices? I feel so much better as a mom and a person when I am positive, but it doesn't come naturally for me. More for me to work on I guess! I do love the perfect moments though when I know they know I love them no matter what.

Natalie said...

I think about this a lot too! Especially my toughest one. I'm ruining them, I just know it!