A little story about Halloween in Indonesia...
We put up our spider webs and hung our bats, so on the inside it felt like Halloween. We didn't see the leaves change this year. We didn't feel the chill in the air, but Halloween was a much bigger deal than I thought it would be. There were decorations for sale at the grocery stores, and I even went to a mall with a whole costume section.
It wasn't a big deal at school. Only Mads had a party. But in addition to the 2 parties already mentioned, we had another one on Halloween after school. It seemed like we weren't missing out on anything by being in a country that doesn't celebrate the holiday. Plus we got to trick-or-treat! We had a mini trick-or-treat session in our little American compound. It was great.
I missed the cool weather, but we had bats flying around us. That was a first! It felt like we were on a real haunted street. I've seen depictions of Halloween with bats in the moonlight, but never lived it.
I'm so used to cold weather on Halloween that all day as I was planning my evening in my head, I kept thinking I would need to change out of my flip-flops and put on some jeans. I had to laugh at myself. Really though, it was nice not to worry about snow, or the kids getting too cold.
Here the boys are opening the cards Grandma sent them. They were so excited!
Nothing beats our Halloweens in good ole WJ, but this one was pretty good.




No comments:
Post a Comment