Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ragunan

One of the cool things about living in another country, is that even when you do normal kid things, like going to the zoo, it can turn out to be a very interesting experience.

This zoo cracked me up because it was huge, and had tons of animals, but they were all the same animals.  For example, they had elephants in 4 or 5 different areas.

 One of the many elephants we saw.

Some of the animals would come right up to you.  I'm confident they were looking for food.  I don't think there would be any issues if you slipped the animals a grape.  Or an apple.  Or an oreo cookie even.

Even though there are these signs.  I love the hearts.

Cheese!

Cool trees.

K, so I have gotten quite used to people taking pictures of my kids.  It happens literally everyday.  So when I saw a couple dudes getting out their phones when they walked by us, I thought nothing of it.  He held up the phone and clicked a picture, just like they always do.  This time he showed it to me, and it was of me!  What?!!  I was so confused.  And I looked that way too.  In the picture.  So I made him take another one.  hee hee.  And then we took one with my camera.  It was very silly.
Don't worry.  I am very humble about this situation.  I know it's not because of my looks.

That's my Austalian friend.  Love her.  I've never had an Australian friend before.  Sometime I'll write a post about how I giggle in my head when I am listening to her talk.
She is the reason we went to the zoo that day.  I was having a hard time being motivated.  I'm so glad we went.

This is the food court.
We brought our lunch.  Not that any of us have a problem with Indonesian food, but it's tricky when you don't know anything about the place you are buying from, and you don't speak the language.

Another cool tree.

Dude fishing at the zoo.  Ironic.

You could tell the monkeys were used to being fed too.  In fact, there were guys selling peanuts right by their cages.  And those guys were standing right by the "don't feed the animals" signs.  The monkeys got really mad at you if you didn't give them any food.  They would scream and hiss.  Carmen warned me that they sometimes pee on you!  Thank goodness we avoided that situation.

Having lunch.

This was a hard group to get to smile at me all at the same time.

My favorite part of the day was when I learned that there is a taxidermy shop there.  At the zoo!  So hilarious.  It was right next to the gift shop.  So you could buy a t-shirt, and a stuffed orangutan all in one convenient location.

3 comments:

liz said...

that guys was all about your perfect teeth I promise! I always told you that your teeth are perfect! Your smile probably stopped him dead in his tracks! ;-)

Dana said...

My favorite photo was the one with the kids and the 2nd cool tree. It makes them look miniature : ) Everyone looks great and happy! I think of you lots! I would love to see photos of your new place if you have a chance!. . .

Unknown said...

OK. I'm officially ready for the post about "Friends with Aussie Accents", because just last night we had dinner at a friend's house, and, yes, he is from Australia. I wasn't necessary giggling in my head, but I was definitely trying to imitate his accent in my head. You know, so I can pretend sometimes to be an Aussie.