Friday, August 23, 2013

You Totally Redeem Yourself

I scheduled a tour of the school a couple weeks before the first day.  What a cool school!  The tour got the kids very excited, which is good because my kids usually hate the idea of going to school.  The kids played on the playground after.  
BA got a haircut!
And that's the big monster hand behind her.

Rhon is very upset that middle schoolers don't use the playground.

G was upset he doesn't get to use this playground either.

Conquered.
Apparently smoke comes out of this dragon's mouth.


I should have taken pictures of the inside too.

*****

After we got home a friend took me tuk tuk shopping.  I bought one!  And after having almost a month with it, I have to say it is one of my favorite things about living here.  It's like the Beijing equivalent of cruising down Pacific Coast Highway in a convertible.  Not really, but it is still pretty fun.  It's more like having your own battery operated bajai -  for all my Jakarta friends.  Only, there is actually space on the road to drive it.

Michelle ended up taking a few of us tuk tuk shopping that day.  I was the only one who ended up buying one.  They were all waiting for me, and I felt bad, so we worked it out that the guy who sold it to me would just take me home.  (I didn't know the way.)



Riding in the back of my brand new tuk tuk!  I don't think he really knew the way either.  He stopped to ask for help a couple of times.  And I think we went the long way.  But once I saw some landmarks, I directed him.  I'm not totally useless!

This is the street that my housing complex is on.  

*****

And even later that day, we went swimming.  The pool is much more crowded here than what we are used to, but it's okay.  And there is a lifeguard...

Honestly, "lifeguard" is a bit generous.  I don't think he'd even notice if someone was drowning, let alone save them.  That sounds mean.  I'm joking, of course.  But could he save someone?  I once saw him eating a meal with his back to the water.  It cracked me up.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sweet life!!!! You are so brave! You need to show a whole picture of your tuk tuk! Next instagram, hint hint =) cool playground!!!

Sheryl said...

Haha! Sounds exactly like the "lifeguard" they had at the school pool in Ouaga. I even saw him take a lunch break for like an hour, just asking some parents if they were going to be around and then disappearing. The guy was only on pool duty for something like 4 hours...