Monday, August 19, 2013

I Had To Get My Badge


This move has not been easy for me.  We had a very busy home leave, with no time in DC.  We got here with about 7 weeks until school started with no transportation.  We had no stuff.  I know no Chinese.  It wasn't my favorite time.  The kids were frustrated and bored and I felt exhausted.  One day I had to go to the embassy for a newcomers welcome thing.  I was able to go to lunch with Nate.  We went for some noodles.  With one taste of that broth, all my troubles melted away.  I remember why China is awesome.  I forgot about the fact that I couldn't order by myself and just slurped up some more delicious, perfectly cooked noodles.

The restaurant was everything I expected from a noodle shop in China.  We could barely walk in it was so crowded.  The smell was heavenly.  The host saw us walk in, and quickly whisked us to a nearby table.  We were alone for the time being, but not for long.  He sat two other people at our table.  And these are small tables and small chairs.  No privacy here!  The table was just a tiny bit sticky, and it had a supply of chopsticks and spoons in a little organizer.  And of course the lovely vinegar bottle.  We wrote down our order, gave it to the waitress, and the noodles came quickly.  Nate spoke Chinese to the girls at our table.  They tried out some English on me.  One told me I was beautiful.  Hahah!  I wonder if that is all she knew how to say?  Well, either way, I was flattered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you have had a rough start. Glad you found something awesome to make it a bit better. Hope the kids all settle in to school well, and you settle in to having them at school :) Carmen