Stitches again! This time I freaked out a little bit.
Everything was fine. We were having a normal, relaxing Sunday afternoon. Then I hear a cry. It wasn't a horrifying cry, but I could tell something was wrong. Mads came to me with his hand on his chin. As soon as I saw the gaping wound on his chin, I knew he needed stitches. His insides were coming out! That's when I freaked out. Not so much because of the blood, or hole in his chin, but we are in a developing country! Medical care is the last thing I want to worry about. Why couldn't he have split his chin open on a weekday? I don't know, about 10am so we could go to the embassy?
Well, it turned out much better than I thought right when I saw the cut. We have never had to get emergency care in Jakarta, so we asked our neighbors (the embassy doctor) what we were supposed to do. Luckily we did, because they called the emergency unit and they said they wouldn't do the stitches. I guess they don't feel comfortable if they have to "hold down" a child. It seems like a cultural thing. They wanted to put him under general anesthesia. No way! The embassy doctors were able to find us another doctor who would do it. We just had to travel to a nearby city.
So we started our trek. It was about an hour drive. And I have to say how amazing Mads is. He didn't complain, or cry, or whine. The DS certainly helped. When we arrived at the emergency room, we were greeted by name, and within 5 minutes of walking through the door, they were starting the procedure.
He is not sleeping. He is not drugged. Just trying to sit very very still. What a stud.
Still, just the guy holding his head still. Nothing else. He's 100% awake. Not an easy accomplishment for a 5 year old. But he didn't even flinch. He is so awesome.
Finished product. The Indonesian doctor did a great job.
I love this picture of Nate at the desk. Thank goodness he was there. Being able to speak Indonesian was crucial. We paid out of pocket, and it cost about $120. Crazy, right? Makes me wonder how much all the doctors and nurses and other workers are getting paid.
Other than the mosquito in the room flying around Mads' fresh blood, it was a good experience. The hospital wasn't scary, and the room was clean. The doctor was professional and cheerful, and all the workers were helpful and kind. I realize it could have been much worse. Our taxi driver even stopped by McDonald's on the way home.
After I posted this, and got a comment, I realized I didn't say how he hurt his chin in the first place. I'm pretty sure I did that last time too. Well, he and G thought it would be fun to stand on each other's backs while they were on hands and knees on the floor. Mads was on the bottom, and he was wiggling so G would fall off. Definitely a bad choice on hard tile floors. Anyway, G inevitably falls, but he falls straight down onto Mads' head, slamming his chin on the floor with enough pressure to split it open. We realize it could have been much worse. Mads could be missing a part of his tongue or G could have had a concussion, so we're not complaining.




2 comments:
That kid is a rockstar! And you, Mom, aren't so bad either for navigating the health system of a foreign country under such pressure. Glad he's okay. You never said how he cut it.
o my gosh! how scary!!!! glad he's okay and thank goodness for the gift of tongues. you guys are doing an awesome job taking care of your family in a foreign country.
Post a Comment