Friday, July 4, 2008

Name of the Game

When Nate and I first got married, we played a lot of video games together.  I remember late nights with a 64 ounce Dr. Pepper, and a PlayStation controller.  We logged in many hours of Bushido Blade.  We also played the 2-player Tetris.  Later came Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.    You know, the one where you can compete against each other?  Most of the time it was all in fun.  The good, clean, what-else-do-you-have-to-do-outside-of-the-bedroom kind of fun.  

Then I realized I liked beating him.  It didn't happen all the time, not even most of the time.  But as long as I was winning here and there I was happy.  I figured his video game experience was many years above mine, so losses were expected.  Sometimes, when things weren't going my way, I would get slightly flustered.  I would have to keep playing and playing until I was happy with my win count.  

Over the next few years I turned everything into a competition with him.  I made up silly games like... who can throw the ball closest to the ceiling without touching it, or how many times can you catch a ball with your feet in a row, etc.  If I made up the game I was sure to win... right?  He was always a willing participant, and won 68% of the time.  Yes, I kept track. 

I'm not really a competitive person by nature.  My mom always told me I would have been a much better gymnast if I cared more about winning.  But, with Nate, something in me just wants to kick his butt.  Your eternal partner is supposed to bring out the best in you after all.

When we first moved to Utah, I bought him a dart board.  I thought, hey... this will be fun.  It was.  We logged in more hours of competitive fun.  Most of the time it was great.  But when I lost too much, I got more than flustered.  I remember stomping up the stairs on more than one occasion.  In came the silent treatments, and girly drama.  I hardly ever beat him at darts, and it drove me crazy.  Without fail, I would want to play again.  He started asking me, "Are you sure?  I don't want you to get mad at me."  My responses sounded something like, "Me? Mad?  No, no not me.  I just like having fun with you, of course."  

I lied.

I am over it by now, for the most part.  It helps that since Guitar Hero came out, my video game ability went up a few notches.  I rule him.  

Something happened today to make me think of all this.  The girls were chewing gum, and Dare innocently asked me where I thought her gum was.

"It better be in your mouth."  I said.

"It's up here."   She shows me her gum stuck to the roof of her mouth.

The next thing I hear is B.A. (yes, I changed her name again) saying...

"Hey.  Say stuck or free."  She wanted the other girls to guess where her gum was in her mouth.  Stuck somewhere or free.  Duh, that's the name of the game.  

They proceeded to guess (willing participants).  This "game" went on, with incorrect answers, for a few minutes before B.A. declared, "I'm a genius at this game!"  

That's my girl!    

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I'm impressed you can even beat Nate. Ian wins 97% of the time.

I keep track too.

Anonymous said...

The pics of your kids are awesome. They all have gorgeous eyes and adorable little smiles. I am so glad you do this blog. I have so enjoyed getting to know you guys all over again. And obviously you are inspiring me to do my own blog. Keep up the great writing Amanda!